Thursday, February 17, 2011

Im a rebel...and I blame Billy Idol....

So Juggling Act sent me a new recipe....shame on her! Doesnt she know that if she sends it to me Im going to have to make it? Of the frustration of it all.
Today's cupcake?
Hot Chocolate Cupcake

Today you will need the following for the cupcake batter:
The frosting is listed below.....
yields 12 normal size cupcakes
your oven will need to be set to 350*

1 cup All Purpose Flour
1/4 cup Cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk

step one: in a small bowl add the flour, the cocoa, baking soda, and salt and set aside
Step One: Dry Ingredients


Step two: in the mixer beat the butter and sugar till smooth and creamy
Step 2: Butter and sugar



Step three: Beat in the eggs and vanilla and allow to mix till fluffy

Step three in action......


Step four: on low speed add the flour and milk. Alternating between the two. Starting and ending with flour.

Step four in action

Step five: Spray and line your pan. And evenly distribute the batter. I use a cookie scoop. Even and consitent.

Ready? Set? ....................


Step Six: bake for 20 to 25 minutes....( side note to readers, i never use a timer for my home baking , so the time guideline is what was on the recipe. I go by the product vs the timer. Timers can be wrong.)

Bake!!!!!!



After the cupcakes are done and cooling comes the frosting. Now this is where I had to improvise.
Let me start by putting the icing recipe on here.

2 cups 10x sugar
1/4 cup shortening
2 Tbsp + 2 Tsp milk

1 1/4 cup mini marshmallows
3 or 4 candy canes

I followed the recipe as is. I will admit I was a little skeptical about it. The ratio of sugar to shortening seemed to high. But I thought just follow it and fix it later. Well I made it and what was in the bowl was thick enough to use as spackel or glue. Even added some extra milk. Didnt help. So here is what the recipe said to do to finish and then Ill show you what I did when I said screw this., Im doing it my way. :)

The recipe said to take 2 Tbsp of icing for each top and to spread around. making sure its coated. Then to take 8 or 9 of the marshmallows and stick on the top. Cut the candy canes into pieces long enough for straws.

So this is where the whole Hot Chocolate Cupcake comes into play.

But like I said I wasnt happy with the icing. I like fluffy and creamy. So heres what I did. I wasnt going to waste the icing that I made. So I fitted a bag with a small star tip. Threw the icing into it and did the same with some chocolate fudge icing I had floating around in the cupboard.

and this is what i ended up with.....


Ive got this absolute love for black and white themes.

The cake was phenomanal in my opinion. And Im happy with the way they turned out. Best of luck if you follow the recipe to the original instructions. But happy baking if you decide to be a rebel and do it your own way.


Sugar kisses,
C


No comments:

Post a Comment